Spinal cord injuries often result in permanent damage that permeates every aspect of a victim’s life. When the negligent actions of others cause these injuries, victims deserve compensation. At Bighorn Law, we help if you need a Las Vegas spinal cord injury lawyer. We understand the challenges associated with pursuing compensation and are ready to use our resources to help you get through this. Contact us as soon as possible for a free consultation so we can determine the best steps moving forward for your situation.
Why Choose Bighorn Law for Your Spinal Injury Claim?
- At Bighorn Law, we offer compassionate assistance to those who have experienced permanent injuries in the Las Vegas area, and we strive to recover maximum compensation for every client.
- Our team has a significant track record of success. Since 2012, we have prided ourselves on caring for friends, family, and the community.
- We handle spinal cord injury claims in Las Vegas on a contingency fee basis. This means clients pay no legal fees until we recover compensation for their losses.
How Spinal Cord Injuries Happen in Las Vegas
Spinal cord injuries occur in a variety of ways. Still, when we examine the information available from the National Spinal Cord Injuries Statistical Center (NSCISC), we can see the following are the most common causes of spinal cord injuries throughout the country:
- Vehicle accidents
- Falls from any height
- Acts of violence
- Sports incidents
- Medical or surgical errors
In some cases, spinal cord injuries are nobody’s fault, but the reality is that these incidents often occur due to the negligence of another. This can include the negligence of other drivers, property owners, medical professionals, employers, etc. An attorney must thoroughly investigate the incident to uncover all evidence needed to prove liability.
Are Spinal Cord Injuries Common?
The NSCISC states that there are nearly 18,000 new spinal cord injuries annually in the United States. There are also around 300,000 people currently living and dealing with spinal cord injuries and their long-term effects across the country. Therefore, this data clearly shows that spinal cord injuries are quite common.
Are There Certain Symptoms That Indicate a Person May Have a Spinal Cord Injury?
If you are involved in any type of accident, you should seek medical attention immediately to rule out severe injuries such as a spinal cord injury. Certain symptoms may indicate that you are suffering a spinal cord injury, including:
- Severe pain in the back area
- Inability to move or walk
- Sudden muscle movements or spasms
- Feeling numb or tingling sensations in the back area
- Inability to balance
- Breathing problems after being injured
Seeking prompt medical treatment following an accident is crucial to your recovery and the success of your personal injury claim. Your medical provider will assess your injuries, run tests, and evaluate your symptoms to determine if you have a spinal cord injury. Proof of this medical visit can be used as evidence to support your case.
The Long-Term Effects of Spinal Cord Injuries
Many people do not realize how important their spinal cord is until it becomes injured. The spinal cord is in control of each move a person makes. Therefore, if the spinal cord experiences even a minor injury, it may result in long-term damage that may impact your life for many years. Some of the long-term and permanent effects of spinal cord injuries include:
- Breathing issues
- Feeling weak in some body parts or limbs
- Severe pain
- Inability to move or function
- Inability to control bladder or bowels
Individuals who have spinal cord injuries typically never fully heal or recover. Instead, they must learn how to cope with their injuries and relearn how to carry out their daily tasks and activities in new ways. As a result, they may never be able to live independently again, requiring around-the-clock care and assistance going forward.
How Much Money Can I Get For My Spinal Cord Injury?
One of the first questions that usually comes up in the initial discussion with our clients is how much they may receive for their spinal cord injuries. However, this can be complicated to answer as there is no standard amount of money that individuals can expect to receive for this type of injury or case. That said, the answer simply depends on your unique factors and details.
Here are a few of the factors and details that may impact how much money you will get for your injury:
The Seriousness of Your Injury
If you have a very serious spinal cord injury, there is a high likelihood that you will receive more compensation than someone who has a minor spinal cord injury. Therefore, the seriousness of your injury, as well as the symptoms that it causes, will be taken into account when determining how much compensation you will get for your injury.
How the Injury Has Affected Your Day-to-Day Life
How the injury has affected your life will also be taken into consideration. Therefore, if you were athletic, played sports, and seemed healthy, you would most likely be awarded more money than someone who did not get around before the injury occurred.
How Much Money Have You Spent Out of Pocket for Your Injury?
Since medical bills accumulate before you can receive any compensation, there is a good chance that you will have to spend your own money on your injury. That said, the amount of out-of-pocket costs that you have already paid or will pay in the future will play a big role in determining your compensation amount.
Who is Liable for Your Accident and Injury?
Another factor influencing how much money you will get for your spinal cord injury is who is liable. If it is found that a big corporation caused your injury, you will likely receive more money than if it was only one individual.
While each of these factors is important when determining the value of your case, you also want to make sure that you hire a lawyer with a good track record for spinal cord injuries. Your attorney’s ability to stand up and aggressively fight for your rights can affect the compensation you may receive.
Compensation Available for a Las Vegas Spinal Cord Injury
Various types of compensation may be available for spinal cord injury victims in Las Vegas. Our team strives to recover economic and non-economic losses for every spinal cord injury victim we assist. This includes obtaining the following from the at-fault party or their insurance carrier:
- Complete coverage of all emergency medical expenses
- Compensation for all long-term care needs
- In-home medical care and modifications
- Vehicle modifications
- Long-term medical expenses
- Lost wages if a spinal cord injury victim is unable to work
- Loss of earning potential for any disability that inhibits physical abilities
- Physical pain and suffering damages
- Emotional and psychological trauma caused by the incident and any disability
- Loss of quality of life damages
How a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Can Help with Your Case
The Las Vegas spinal cord injury lawyers at Bighorn Law are knowledgeable, experienced, and skilled in these cases. We have several years of experience helping clients with their spinal cord injury claims. We know what it takes to protect your rights and secure the best outcome possible. Some of the ways that our attorneys will help you with your case include:
- Listening to the facts and details of your experience
- Conducting our investigation into what happened and why
- Ensuring that you stay on track and that every deadline is met
- Gathering appropriate evidence that will support your side of the story
- Working with professionals to determine a fair compensation amount for your injuries
- Finding and speaking with eyewitnesses who may have seen your accident occur
- Hiring expert witnesses to provide statements about your spinal cord injury and accident
- Handling all communication with the defendant’s legal team and insurance companies
- Building a strong and convincing case
- Preparing to take your case to a court trial hearing if needed
At Bighorn Law, we believe that our clients should concentrate on healing and recovering. While they do that, our attorneys will handle the ins and outs of their spinal cord injury claims. However, we will always keep you updated and informed about your case and ensure that you understand any possible legal options that may be a good idea for you to pursue.
Call a Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Las Vegas Today
Suppose you or somebody you care about has sustained a spinal cord injury caused by the negligent actions of another company or individual in the Las Vegas area. In that case, the team at Bighorn Law is ready to help. We have the resources to fully investigate your claim and begin working towards a negotiated settlement. We have no problem taking our case to a personal injury jury trial if needed. When you need a Las Vegas spinal cord injury lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling our office at 702-541-9276.